The preferred method of doing this is through the Outlook app.
- You can download it to your phone either from the App Store (iPhone) or the Google Play Store (Android).
- Once you open the app, make sure you enter your email address as email@example.com.
- After that, when you are presented with a list of email provider choices, select Office 365.
- You should be redirected to the Office 365 UNC log in screen. Enter the username as firstname.lastname@example.org and the password as your onyen password.
Another method of viewing your email is by configuring your account on your mail app.
- Go to the settings app and choose Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.
- Tap Add Account, then choose Exchange.
- Use the following credentials:
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Domain: leave blank
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: onyen password
- Server: outlook.office365.com
- If you get an Unable to Verify Certificate pop-up, tap Accept.
- Make sure you tap Save to save your changes.
- Select the email icon on your phone.
- Select Menu which brings up email settings and select Add Account. Or you may click on the Apps icon and Settings icon, then click on Accounts and Add Account.
- Enter your email@example.com email address and your onyen password then select Next.
- Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync as the account type.
- After automatic setup, you will be prompted about Remote security administration. Click OK.
- Set how frequently you want your email to update by selecting the frequency from the drop-down menu. You are also given the option to set Campus Exchange Account as your default email account.
- On the Activate Device Administrator? screen, Click Activate.
- You can add a name to the field below (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like. Select Done.
The two most common types of fraudulent emails are phishing emails and spam emails.
Phishing emails are messages that attempt to steal your sensitive information, such as your passwords, social security number, or bank account information. They usually ask you to click on a link or reply to the email.
Even though these emails may appear to be from a legitimate source, they contain forged links that are designed to steal your sensitive information. The email also might contain a generic greeting and a sense of urgency.
If you happen to get one of these emails, do not respond and do not click the link.
Forward the email as an attachment to email@example.com as soon as possible.
Doing this will help ITS block the URL and the sender’s email address from sending to others at UNC.
Spam is also popularly known as junk mail. UNC automatically filters out spam before it reaches your inbox, but some of the junk emails can slip by the system.
If you receive spam, block the sender before deleting the email and do not click links or open attachments.
Lynda.com can be accessed on Apple and Android devices (phone and tablet) using the Android or iOS app. Courses can be watched on the go, or they can be downloaded when an internet connection is not available.
To download the app visit the lynda.com mobile apps webpage: http://www.lynda.com/mobile-apps.
How to use the app:
- Launch the app.
- Tap login.
- Tap the Organization tab.
- Scroll to the Web Portal section.
- Type unc.edu in the URL field.
- Enter your onyen and password.
First and foremost, click this link to place an order for Adobe CC (it’s free for UNC students and faculty).
Prior to installing the new applications, some previous Adobe products need to be removed. If you have any issues removing previous versions, please refer to this adobe help document Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool.
If you have no other Adobe products installed, continue with the installation steps below.
- To begin the installation, navigate to the Creative Cloud Application download web page.
- Answer the quick survey and then select “Sign In” to continue.
- Select the “Sign in with an Enterprise ID” link at the bottom.
- As soon as you enter your UNC email address, you will be redirected to the UNC-CH Single Sign-On page.
- Log in with your onyen and password.
- Once authenticated, your download will start.
- Navigate to your downloads folder and open the installer.
- Once the installer completes, there will be a popup that asks you to login.
- This is the same process as above.
- Now that you have downloaded and installed Adobe CC, you can now install any of the available applications.
If you do not have the Zoom software installed, Start by going to unc.zoom.us and click the “Download Client” at the bottom of the page.
Note: The Zoom Meeting Client software can also be found at the Zoom Download Center.
- Once the Zoom Meeting Client is installed, open the client. Click “Sign In”, then “Sign in with SSO”.
- Enter “unc” as the company domain when prompted.
- You will be redirected to the UNC SSO page. Login using your onyen and password.
What is a VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides an encrypted connection (secure tunnel) from off campus to the UNC Chapel Hill internal network. VPN allows you to access campus applications and work securely, just as if you were physically on campus.
Refer to the following connection settings after you download and set up the VPN client:
- Server Name: vpn.unc.edu
- Group: UNCCampus
- Username: your onyen
- Password: your onyen password
- Second Password: Enter a Duo command (ex. push)
Instructions for download:
|Windows||Cisco AnyConnect VPN|
|MacOS||Cisco AnyConnect VPN:|
|Linux||Download the GZ file and the Package Installer|
|iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod)||Open the app store and search for “anyconnect ics” then install|
|Android||Open the google play store and search for “anyconnect” then install|
|Chromebook||Cisco AnyConnect VPN|
For more information, visit help.unc.edu